Saturday, 12 April 2014

Initial Failures

During the project, we faced a couple of initial failures that In the beginning, instead of letting the beans germinate in dark, we put all of them under direct glaring sunlight. This caused moulds to grow on the cotton and around the seeds, preventing some of them from growing.

So we learnt from our mistake and planted a whole new set of beans; this time in the darkness [in the cabinets in classroom]. But yet some of the beans did not germinate for they were already dead. We instead of planting only 15 seeds, this time we had 24, filling up the entire Ferrero Rocher box. Thus, we had a greater chance of having more germinated beans to be experimented on.

(Watering the seeds)

IMG_5282.jpeg
We grew beans in trays with partitions to seperate the different beans which we watered with different ph-level water





Things we have gone through as a group

Throughout this project, we have faced many challenges, one of which was when we were not able to agree on the same thing. We could not make a decision on what type of plants we should base our experiment on and what kind and how much acid was needed for our project. This led to many disputes and debates on our different opinions. Finally, after much discussion and the help of internet resources, we could finally come to the conclusion that using sulphuric acid with the difference of 0.002 molars for each solution of acid was the best choice. We also decided that green beans was the most efficient and fair way to find out about the effects of acid on plants. Although we had many disputes among us, we were able to put them aside and did our best to complete our work while keeping the importance of this project in mind. This helped us concentrate on what we were doing and it set us on a mindset to complete our work with high quality and efficiency.

What we have summarised and planned


(Help given by Mr Tan) 


(What we planned to do)

Finalised Research Topic

The Effect of Acid Rain on Plants in the Equatorial Rainforest

As our research advanced, we realised that we did not have that much time to collect and grow plants from the equatorial rainforest to experiment on them. Also, we did not have the financial capability to buy and purchase such plants. Thus, as a result, we decided to experiment on green beans, a plant which is more affordable and available everywhere. Furthermore, it DOES grow in equatorial countries. To satisfy everyone's constant asking of the question, "Why only experiment on one plant?" I would like to redirect your attention to this blog post. In our Research Topic, it is clearly stated that we want to investigate THE EFFECT OF ACID RAIN on plants in the Equatorial Rainforest. As such, we are more concerned on the EFFECT of acid rain on plants and not the DIFFERENT EFFECTS ON DIFFERENT PLANTS. I hope this clears that up.

(Cherry, 2014)
(Sue, 2012)




Wednesday, 9 April 2014

Research Topic 2

The Effects of Acid Rain on the Plants in the Equatorial Rainforest


With further research on the topic, we have decided to further refine our research topic to something more relatable to us. Specifically, we decided to research on the effects of Acid Rain on the Plants in the Equatorial Rainforestsomething geographically closer to us. As such, by doing so, we would be able to have a greater impact from our research. We would be able to collect our data and implement possible solutions to places around us, allowing us to see a greater impact or change in the environment around us. The mind map below shows some of the various plants we researched on.